Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Time Traveler's Life

When I reached the 15-year anniversary of service with my corporation, I was allowed to select a gift from several options.

I don’t wear a watch, opting to tell time via my cell phone.  And jewelry has no big appeal.  A battery-powered drill emerged as the leading candidate until the kids lobbied hard for the telescope.

Last summer, we hoped to get a dramatic show from the Perseid meteors that streak through the night sky most prominently in August. Since the kids always stay up late during the summer, we all slipped on shoes and rolled out after midnight to find a rural area that would offer less of civilization's ambient glow.  But, the lunar albedo was illuminating so much of the sky, I'm sure it impacted the visibility of the Perseid meteor shower.

There was only a sporadic streak of meteor activity that night, during our post-midnight outing.  It was somewhat disappointing, because I ultimately felt like the payoff wasn't commensurate with the commitment to staying up into the middle of the night (since I had work the next morning) and driving out for a decent vantage.

Our oldest climbed up on top of the vehicle, no doubt thinking that being a few feet closer to the heavens would improve her view.  The rest of us wandered around nearby with our faces lifted toward the stars.

And though there weren't that many meteors, I was transported...

1.) I traveled through time to my military days, when, as a soldier in the field, I'd use night vision goggles (NVGs) or night optical devices (NODs) to view, through the green and grainy image enhancement, a nighttime sky bright and blanketed with countless worlds and distant suns -- so numerous that they crowded into every available space from horizon to horizon.

2.)  I was taken back to junior high school, when summertime campouts often involved staring up at the night sky for long hours, while we talked.  Inevitably, we saw shooting stars (i.e., meteors, no doubt) and tracked the movement of satellites orbiting high above:  steady dots slowly and quietly soaring overhead.



No comments:

Post a Comment