Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Believing & Not

I've looked up and observed such a beautiful and bizarre vision of cloud formations and coloration, that I was certain if I were to paint an exact representation of what I saw, viewers of the painting would scoff and say it wasn't realistic.

Sometimes, real life offers us less believable things than the fictions and fantasies we imagine.

Back in April, I printed a longish article ("A Murder Foretold," by David Grann, from NewYorker.com) based on a quick look at it. The piece appeared to be in-depth reporting on the assassination of a well respected corporate attorney (Rodrigo Rosenberg) in Guatemala. I was also intrigued by this quote:

“Guatemala is a good place to
commit a murder, because you
will almost certainly get away
with it,” a U.N. official has said.

I took the printed copy along on a recent trip and read it on the flight. I couldn't believe what I was reading. The tale of events that led up to Rosenberg’s murder, and the political backlash in the wake of his death, took a series of unexpected twists that made the entire story so fantastical as to challenge your ability to accept it as true.

This is destined to become a fascinating movie, since it already has the hallmarks of a Hollywood script. I’m still considering the murky machinations that set the whole thing in motion.

In related entertainment, I also happened to stream a movie from Netflix a few weeks ago (All Good Things) via our Wii.  And the movie plot was rife with unexpected tangents and redirections -- but, as it turns out, is based on true events from the life of Bobby Durst.

No comments:

Post a Comment