Friday, March 4, 2011

This & That

In 2009, I listened to a Slate Audio Book Club podcast about Nicholson Baker's most recent book, The Anthologist. I followed that up by hunting down and reading a review in the New York Times.

Sounded appealing. I figured I'd one day buy it or pick up a copy from the library.

Around that same time, I'd begun mulling over e-readers, not quite convinced I wanted one. But, I was curious. And, like my plan to read The Anthologist, I figured I'd do it one day -- I'd take the plunge and get an e-reader. Not soon, mind you, but eventually.

In my curiosity, I poked around online to see what assessments there were about Amazon's Kindle. Somewhere, I encountered a reference to a Nicholson Baker article for The New Yorker about his experience evaluating the Kindle. Kismet, I figured. I'd already learned that some people were reading electronic books on their iPhones -- and that topic also surfaced in the Baker article.  Plus, there was general hubbub in those days about something called an iPad (which I have since bought for my wife).

So, I read the article, which was the "cause" that begat a few "effects." It reinforced my notion that I'd be waiting to see which direction e-readers veer. It also made me seriously consider that an iPhone (or iPod Touch) could supplant an e-reader-specific device with added functionalities. But, it also thoroughly encouraged my interest in Michael Connelly's The Lincoln Lawyer (which Baker discusses reading electronically).

Thus, when I spied an audio book of The Lincoln Lawyer on a shelf at the library near my office, I promptly seized it. And I found it an outstanding companion on my daily commute.

Now, there's a movie of The Lincoln Lawyer about to hit theaters.  And it looks good.  I know all the plot acrobatics, but I still expect to enjoy the movie.

I still haven't read The Anthologist, thought I have enjoyed several other Connelly novels.  And, though my wife has an iPad, all the collective murmurings of the masses these days is about the iPad 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment