Monday, March 7, 2011

The Ocean of Our Unknowing

I first heard of Don Miller while on a business trip in Waco.  He wasn’t there.  But, I visited the University Baptist Church, and the pastor mentioned his book, Blue Like Jazz, and read this from the frontmatter.

I never like jazz music, because jazz
music doesn’t resolve.  But, I was
outside the Bagdad Theater in Portland
one night  when I saw a man playing
the saxophone.  I stood there for fifteen
minutes and he never opened his eyes.

After that, I liked jazz.

Sometimes you have to watch somebody love
something before you can love it yourself.
It is as if they are showing you the way.

I like that.  The sentiment and the way he packaged it.

So, I’ve since become a full-on follower of Don Miller and his spiritual exploration, his presentation of questions and observations and theological ruminations.  I like the way he refuses to find contentment in the merry acceptance of the doctrine bequeathed by elderly men.

And I follow his blog, too – enjoying posts like THIS ONE and THIS ONE (from the time his dog, Lucy, took over blogging duties).

His recent book, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years is now available in paperback.



This Miller quote has stuck with me from Through Painted Deserts: “It turns out the droplet of our knowledge is a bit lost in the ocean of our unknowing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment