Thursday, October 20, 2011

Across the Years

My mother was a remarkable woman who didn't profess big dreams beyond day-to-day happiness and a good life for her family. When my folks were married in the late '40s, the world was an unusual place. The Great War was over, Dad was out of the Navy, and America still held a Rockwellian charm as it slide toward the Korean War, the idyllic '50s, and the rise of Elvis.

Because Mom and Dad grew up during the Depression, some of the hard-learned lessons of that generation seeped into the atmosphere of our house and family. Some of my classmates literally had grandparents that were my parents' ages.

Mom was an artist. That is where I got it. She could draw and paint (yes, they are different), and I was in awe of her talent. For a time during my youth, Mom worked at a local department store, and she decorated and arranged the long display windows with meticulous dedication and impressive results. We were often stopped at the grocery store (or on other local outings) for townsfolk to chat with Mom about how they loved her current windows, or thought this or that particular touch was clever or well executed. I regularly saw the positive influence of a job well done and appreciated -- the pride she took in her work. (If she were with us now, oh how she’d love to talk with her granddaughter about fashion and accessories!)

I miss Mom. But, I can hear her distinctive laughter across the years, and I’ll always cherish the fond memories of her that will comfort me for all my days remaining.

Happy Birthday, Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment