Sunday, May 15, 2011

Spectator's Lament


In my youth, I scoffed at essays and documentaries, casting them aside as mere instruments of academia that amounted to nothing more appealing than obligations of study.  But, through the years, I've found myself seated at the other side of the table.  I think it is fair to say I'm sometimes exuberant over a collection of essays or unexpectedly finding particularly well phrased composition by a favorite essayist.  Likewise, I'm on the perpetual quest of the knight-errant seeking the next documentary that might otherwise slip by in the clutches of obscurity.

I generally monitor upcoming broadcasts of Independent Lens on PBS.  They often show terrific documentaries, and I've been able to TiVo some that are among my favorites.

If I think someone has the proclivity toward it, I will drown them in praises of Helvetica, a history and evaluation of the font, with a look at typeface design -- which I've previously discussed in this journal.   Wordplay reveals people passionate about constructing and completing crossword puzzles (something I was never interested in until I saw the documentary). Most recently, I watched Between the Folds, which is a fascinating documentary about origami and people who've accomplished great works of art and found lessons of life in the simple act of folding paper.

I see a documentary about crosswords, and I'm compelled to do them and create them.  I see a film about origami; I'm desperate to fold paper.  I reckon I need to steer clear of those History Channel programs about serial killers.

I see a Chuck Close exhibit, and I want to paint again.  I'm inspired to take the stage again after attending a terrific night of theater. 

And there's this odd episode: one day, after listening to the beautiful songs on a Yo-Yo Ma CD, I lamented the fact I never learned to play the cello.

Being inspired by others' creativity and talent sounds like an uplifting experience.  But, there's a darker side, too.  I'm repeatedly confronted by my role as spectator, when considering how many people are doing amazing things.

1 comment:

  1. I think we all feel this way at one time or another. That is why there are so many closets in houses filled with guitars. Expanding your interests, if only for a little while, enriches your life.

    ReplyDelete