Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Christmas Coin

December never fails to usher in evidence of merriment.

Eggnog appears in the stores (along with Christmas accoutrements that have been on store shelves since October). Rather quickly and increasingly I discover more and more homes bedecked with lights and other ornamentation.

Many houses are already adorned from the final days of November, but each evening’s commute reveals some new joiner in the parade of lighted icicles draped from eaves and dormers and gables.

Twinkling Christmas trees shine through windows like beacons of celebration lighting the way for family and friends to gather for fellowship and food.



But, the Christmas coin has two sides. It doesn't escape my notice that, for many, the holiday season can be a harbinger of their own misfortunes: reminders of loved ones who’ve died, relationships that have failed, or the overall absence of friends and family, the unexpected unemployment that lingers, the financial disarray, the egregious descent from better times, and inescapable loneliness.

I know those people. I've counted myself among them at times. And each new yuletide I am reminded that I am always a candidate to return to the plight of the downtrodden and the outcast. We are all so-called candidates. I try and remember that when ensconced in good times -- and dismiss the lesser worries as the trappings of the blessed.

Sometimes my preoccupation with affording all the gifts I want to purchase will prevent a more fully invested embrace of all the wonderment and good will the season can bring. Seizing charitable opportunities helps keep my head in the proper disposition.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a natural feeling. Christmas is a dichotomy. A celebration of an event that, historically, happened at a different time of year and moved to the solstice to appease pagan rituals. On the other hand it is a commercial rat race of the kind that can jade the most re-formed of the Scrooge's. I guess I try to enjoy it the best I can, but for me, the magic is gone. There is nothing special about Christmas left for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's sad there is no magic left..... there is nothing i love more than christmas. i pretty much love everything about it. I love putting up the tree an pulling out each ornament and remembering the ocassion i got it, or who gave it to me. Reflecting on when my children were little and made handprint reindeer at school. I love to go to my mailbox and find a card from someone i hadn't heard from in years. I love that for 4 weeks i can walk through a mall and hear the music proclaim "...the little Lord Jesus asleep on the hay".In another month it's back to whatever secular music they play. I also love being ale to buy things for the people i care about without feeling guilty for spending money. if i want to get my brother $100.00 coffee maker, i will. I love the look on my kids face when they open their gifts and I love wondering what awesome thing my husband will surprise me with (he always does!) . And most of all i cherish the gift God gave to me over 2,000 years ago in a cold stable on Christmas night. Christmas will always be magic to me. Even now as my kids grow older, we hang the stockings, throw out the reindeer food and bake the cookies for Santa and we are thankful for each other and for family and for our blessed savior.

    ReplyDelete